Student Support Services
At Oratory, each student works with a counselor who can assist with their academic, personal, and social development over time. The goal of the counselor is to help each student acquire the attitudes, knowledge, and skills to enhance effective learning in school and in life.
Students will also develop the interpersonal skills to understand the relationship of academic preparation and their life beyond high school. During the counseling process, students will become familiar with topics such as personal safety, respecting others, and career exploration.
Through various means of collaboration with the student, his parents and teachers, and the community; students are taught effective decision making, goal setting, and strategies for planning their academic success throughout middle or high school as they prepare for college.
Some of the things a counselor can help with include:
- Academic advising and tutoring services
- Academic and Study Skills support
- Individual counseling and crisis intervention
- Education regarding understanding of self, including strengths & weaknesses
- Peer relationship & social skill counseling
- Education in goal-setting & decision-making
- Information regarding summer and educational opportunities beyond Oratory
- Opportunities to identify & pursue interests
- Career awareness and exploration
- Information & encouragement toward participation in athletics, co-curricular & extra-curricular activities
- Leadership development through character education
- Special Education Services
- Small Group counseling activities
- Large Group education classes
- Course placement and scheduling