The mission of Oratory Preparatory School is to develop young men of faith, intellect, and character through an exceptional college preparatory program rooted in the Roman Catholic tradition. In a spirit of cooperation and collaboration, we prepare them for life beyond the classroom by focusing on the abilities of each individual in order to graduate young men of action who will contribute positively to our communities, Church, nation, and world.
School Beliefs Statement
- The Roman Catholic tradition underlies and informs our beliefs, actions, and attitudes
- A safe and positive environment fosters a culture of mutual respect that affords its members the opportunity to reach their potential as individuals and as a community
- A challenging curriculum promotes intellectual, physical moral, social, emotional and spiritual development
- Honesty and integrity are hallmarks of who we are
- Each individual is unique, possessing gifts and talents that enrich our community
- A successful school requires the cooperation of all stakeholders - students, parents, faculty, staff, administrators, Board members, and the community
- A diverse school community is essential in developing young men of action who through their awareness will become responsible leaders in a global society
- A positive school experience fosters lifelong learning, and produces young men of character and service in educating the whole student
Oratory Preparatory School enjoys accreditation granted by the Middle States Association of Schools and Colleges, effective through 2019. The Association is a non-governmental, nationally recognized organization whose members include elementary schools through collegiate institutions offering post-graduate instruction.
Accreditation of an institution by the Association indicates that it meets or exceeds criteria for the assessment of institutional quality periodically applied through a peer review process. An accredited school or college/university is one which has available the necessary resources to achieve its stated purposes through appropriate educational programs, is substantially doing so, and gives clear evidence that it will continue to do so in the foreseeable future.
From its earliest foundations as Carlton Academy in 1907, Oratory has had a constant focus: attention to the individual. Charles Schultz, the first headmaster, emphasized this ideal when he founded the school. The administration of Rev. John J. Bain, headmaster from 1945 to 1967, echoed this philosophy in the theme of his administration—Accent on the Individual. This priority has been echoed by all our Heads of School, up to our present leader, Mr. Robert Costello.